What can the feathers from “coq de León” used for?
by José Alfredo Fernández Ramos
The names of «gallo de León”
French, international denomination: «coq de León”.
English, “cock or rooster from León”.
German, “Hahn aus León”.
Italian, “gallo die Leon”.
Many anglers know the wonderful feathers of the «gallo de León», but they are not sure what to do with them.
In this post we are going to show you in a clear and simple manner:
• what main features «gallo de León» feathers have?
• what flies can you tie?
• how to handle and bind the feathers.
Its possibilities are limitless.
Features of "gallo de León"
• We can imitate all the colors, shapes and patterns of wings, legs and tails of the insects trout take. For this purpose, two main varieties of feather are used:
• 1) Indio feathers dun feathers), which are monochrome, with a wide range of chromatic shapes of dun, grey, white black and rot feathers.
• 2) Pardo feathers, which may present brown-specked or mottled pattern, and which come in a wide range of tones and shapes.
• The feathers of «gallo de León» are neither too stiff nor too soft, so the reproduce better the wings, legs and tails movements of the insect. Coq de León feathers are very life-like.
• The brightness and brilliance of the feathers are unique. The flashing of the fibers when exposed to the sun produces bright halo effect that induces the trout to bite. The light reflections produce a sensation of movement bringing the insect to life.
• The different striped, dotted patterns in contrast with the background colourprovides the optical illusion of movement.
• You can imitate the features (shape, size, colour, patterns and movement) of the insect with astonishing accuracy.
• Feathers dry very easily (quickly), so they are ideal for rainy days.
• To obtain the feathers, the roosters are not slain, so it is a sustainable process. The animals live outdoors in an environment that guarantees their well-being. There is no industrial breeding. The income earned by the farmers helps to sustain village life and ecological environments.
• The breeding of the rooster of León and the survival of the species is strongly threatened by rural depopulation. With the purchase of the wonderful «indian» and «brown» feathers of the riparian farmers of the Curueño river in León we contribute to ensuring the sustainability of the species.
All the magical flies you can tie with gallo de León
You can imitate different patterns of flies for matching the hatch. It is possible to match the wide range of orders and specimen of water insects and trout food: sedge, stone, upwinged and flat-winged flies as well as terrestrials. We can also consider one moment of the insect’s live cycle in particular and imitate it as nymph, emerger, subimago (dun) and imago (spinner). In any size: from very large to very small. So, the feathers of gallo de León are perfectly available to tie nymphs, emergers, and wonderful dry and wet flies. You just need to take the look of a child and let your creativity and imagination run wild and you will create a wide array of old and new fly patterns. In order to the hatch using «gallode León» it is enough to follow five steps in the handling of the cock’s feathers.